So way back in March I signed up for Simplicity's Star Sewist challenge. I decided to enter the dress making category and was kindly given a copy of the NewLook shift dress 6145 to get creative with.
I would like to say that I got really creative and made lots of fantastic alterations and adaptations to the dress....... Yeah well what can I say, life has been getting in the way of all things crafty over the last few months and I only got started yesterday. Oops!
Never the less, while it is unlikely to win any prizes (the standard and creativity out there is amazing, just check out #simplicitybloggerchallenge on twitter), I am really pleased with my finished dress.
I wanted something to get me in the mood for summer and this turquoise flamingo print cotton fabric, which I picked up from my local Remnant Kings, fitted the bill perfectly. It was lovely to sew with as well.
My only alteration I made to the pattern was to add in a set of in seam pockets - I do love a dress with pockets! (Note to self: don't shove your hands right in pockets when taking photos - it distorts the dress!!). I also used bias binding on the hem to keep as much of the length as possible.
In terms of sizing, the pattern has quite a bit of ease in it so I cut a 14 for the bust and graded to an 18 at the hips. Think I may go back and take it in slightly at the waist but for the moment I am really pleased with my flamingo dress.
Good luck to everyone who entered and thanks to Simplicity for hosting this challenge.
See you soon x
P.S. I love to chat so feel free to leave a comment!